Across the Sheldomar Valley
Here’s the link to the free version of the 5e Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rules.
Using the basic rules will limit some of your options, but it’s free and having a character ready will speed things up on game day. I will have a supply of pre-generated characters ready too.
You have several choices for generating your character’s ability scores.
- Roll 4d6, keep the best 3 and arrange as desired.
- Take the Standard Array (15,14,13,12,10, 8) and arrange as desired.
- Use the point buy system with a 27 point budget.
Any race from the Player’s Handbook is permitted, including the Human Variant. (PHB 31)
Players choosing one of the uncommon races (Dragonborn, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc & Tiefling) should be prepared for extra role-playing challenges navigating some social situations.
Any class may be taken.
You may customize Backgrounds. (PHB 125)
We’ll be using the Deities of Greyhawk. (PHB 295)
- I won’t be forbidding any alignments, however extreme personality types common to many of our favorite fantasy characters from books and movies are challenging to play in a group. Whether we’re talking about an unyielding paragon of virtue or an unrepentant backstabbing psychotic it requires a certain finesse to pull it off. Your PC should have the ability to work and play well with the other PCs.
- You may equip your character using either the package option or by randomly generating the appropriate amount of gold. However no character is permitted to start the game with a mount.
- When advancing levels you may take Feats in lieu of Ability Score Improvement class features. (PHB 165)
- Multi-Classing will be permitted. (PHB 163)